Will my out of state Law Enforcement Certification transfer to Kansas?

Kansas law (K.S.A. 74-5608a) allows the director of KLETC to recommend that the KSCPOST grant reciprocity certification to any person who has been duly certified under the laws of another state or territory if, in the opinion of the director, the requirements for certification in such jurisdiction equal or exceed the qualifications required to complete satisfactorily the basic course of instruction at the training center. Kansas reciprocity training is two weeks long.

Reciprocity Details

The State of Kansas does have a conditional Reciprocity certification program if the law enforcement officer applicant meets certain requirements. Applicants for conditional reciprocity must be employed by a recognized Kansas law enforcement agency and cannot at the time of the reciprocity application process been out of law enforcement for more than five years. Certified law enforcement officers from another state whose basic training requirements meet or exceed the Kansas requirement during that same time period, or those eligible for certification (who have recently completed a basic training program that meets or exceeds Kansas requirements) may be eligible for conditional reciprocity. Pursuant to an inter-agency agreement with the Kansas Commission on Peace Officers' Standards and Training, the director of the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center conducts all evaluations of an individual's training regarding their eligibility for Reciprocity in Kansas.

Any applicant (at the time of making application for conditional reciprocity) who has been out of full-time law enforcement for more than 5 years is not eligible for conditional reciprocity and must attend a 14-week basic training program to gain Kansas certification.

KLETC will provide a cursory review to determine possible eligibility for conditional reciprocity. To do so requires:

  1. A copy of the officer's basic training curriculum listing the course title and number of hours allocated to each topic. Course Schedules will not be evaluated in lieu of the course curriculum listing;
  2. If certified in another state, provide your law enforcement employment history;
  3. If certified in another state, provide a listing of all law enforcement-related continuing education & hours received since completing your basic training.

Based on a cursory review, KLETC will provide an "UNOFFICAL" preliminary determination based on the documentation submitted. KLETC will not issue any formal determination until after the formal application process is initiated and certified documentation has been received during the application process from the issuing authority. Employment with a recognized Kansas law enforcement agency must precede the formal Reciprocity application process.

Show All Answers

1. What is the work schedule of a Police Officer?
2. What can I expect my first year on the job as a Police Officer?
3. As a Police Officer applicant, can I do a ride along with the Hays Police Department?
4. Will my out of state Law Enforcement Certification transfer to Kansas?
5. Can you tell me about the Community of Hays?
6. Can I get notified when a position is opened?
7. How do I apply for a job.
8. Can I turn in an application even though the job is not opened?
9. How do I know that my application was submitted?
10. If I apply but I am not selected for a position, will I be notified?
11. Can I submit a resume instead of completing an application online?