Rain Sensor-Shutoff Rebate
2024 Rain Sensor-Shutoff Rebate
The rain sensor-shutoff rebate program offers up to $100.00 on the purchase and installation of a compatible rain sensor-shutoff device that interrupts an automatic irrigation system after 1/4-inch of rain has been received. Rebate amount will not exceed the actual purchase price of a rain sensor-shutoff device plus installation costs, and excludes sales tax.
Rebate Eligibility Requirements:
- Rebates will be given only for rain sensor-shutoff devices that are compatible with the current automatic irrigation system and properly installed in such a way as to be able to turn off and keep the irrigation system off after 1/4-inch of rain has been received.
- The rain sensor-shutoff device must be purchased new at retail price on or after January 1, 2024. Rebates will not be issued retroactively for devices purchased before January 1, 2024.
- The rain sensor-shutoff device must be installed at a location served by the City of Hays Department of Water Resources. Rebates are only available for the replacement of old, existing sensors or as the addition to existing landscape irrigation systems. No rebates are available for newly installed irrigation systems.
- An on-site inspection by a representative of the Department of Water Resources may be required to verify installation before a rebate is paid.
- A limit of 5 qualifying devices per active City of Hays water account, mixed or matched, will be considered.
- Purchase and install your new rain sensor-shutoff device. Verify that the device is compatible with the current irrigation system and meets all rebate eligibility requirements.
- Complete the rebate form and attach the sales receipt showing the model of the rain sensor-shutoff device and date of purchase. Return to the Department of Water Resources, City Hall Finance Office, or firstname.lastname@example.org for processing.
- A representative of the Department of Water Resources may contact you and verify installation of the rain sensor-shutoff device.
- Allow four weeks from the date of submission to receive your rebate check. Please be advised that IRS regulations require a 1099-MISC be sent to any person receiving a rebate greater than $600, in which case a W9 form will need to be submitted at the time of payment.
This program provides financial assistance to customers wishing to purchase rain sensor-shutoff devices for their home or business. The City of Hays does not endorse or recommend specific brands, products or dealers. Selection and installation of the device is the sole responsibility of the applicant, as is determination of the adequacy and compatibility of their existing irrigation system. The City assumes no responsibility for any damage that may occur to an applicant’s property as a result of participation in this rebate program. Due to circumstances beyond its control, the City cannot guarantee that the installation of the smart controller will result in lower utility costs.