The Hays Police Department initiated a new program called Priority Traffic Enforcement Areas (PTEA) on September 24, 2021. The PTEA program has three objectives:
- Educate citizens about lawful and safe driving habits through traditional and social media.
- Gain voluntary compliance from the public through proactive traffic statute enforcement practices that are specific to location, time, and type of violation.
- Reduce the number of vehicle collisions at high volume intersections and roadways.
The locations will be assigned monthly by the Patrol Lieutenants and Sergeants. The criteria for determining these locations will include factors such as:
- Motor Vehicle Collisions and their causes
- Traffic Congestion
- Public Complaints
- City Complaints
- Officer / Supervisor observations and recommendations
While officers may enforce any observed violations, the targeted violations will include - Speed Enforcement, Traffic Sign/Signal Violations, Improper Turns & Lane Usage, and Right of Way Violations.
November PTEA Locations
27th Street and Indian Trail
27th Street and Broadway
North Vine Roundabout Project Area