Meet the City Manager & Deputy City Manager
DEPUTY CITY MANAGER
Toby Dougherty, ICMA-CM, CPM
Prior to coming to Hays, Toby served as the City Administrator in Gallatin, Missouri. Before pursuing a career in City Management, he worked in the transportation industry for 12 years. He is a graduate of the University of Kansas majoring in Political Science and Public Service/Civic Leadership. Toby is also a graduate of the University of Kansas' Certified Public Manager program.
Toby's responsibilities as the Hays City Manager include acting in the capacity of chief administrative officer of the City. He is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the City Commission. The City Manager is directly responsible for the daily operation and administration of the City's organization and hires employees to aid in these functions. Employees are divided into eleven departments, with each headed by a Director appointed by the City Manager.
Toby, a western Kansas native, enjoys spending time in the mountains, hiking, camping, and spending time with his grandkids.
- University of Kansas - BGS Political Science/Public Administration
- International City/County Management Association Credentialed Manager (ICMA-CM)
- Certified Public Manager (CPM)
- International City/County Management Association (ICMA)
- Kansas Association of City/County Management (KACM)
- City Administrator - Gallatin, MO - 2003 through 2005
- Assistant City Manager - Hays, KS - 2005 through 2007
- City Manager - Hays, KS - 2007 through present