Turf Conversion Rebate
2023 Turf Conversion Rebate Program
The City of Hays offers a $1.00/square foot rebate for the conversion of maintained, irrigated, cool-season turfgrass to a more water-efficient, drought tolerant turfgrass or landscaping. Rebate eligible conversions include the following:
- Replacing maintained, irrigated cool-season turfgrass (i.e. Tall Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass) with a warm-season turfgrass variety (i.e. Buffalograss, Bermudagrass)
- Replacing sections of maintained, irrigated cool-season turfgrass with mulched planting beds, etc.
Once established, warm-season turfgrass varieties and drought tolerant plants (mulched with organic mulch) require very little (if any) supplemental irrigation as compared to cool-season turfgrass. Native species like Buffalograss have a deep root system that allows the turf to withstand extended periods of drought.
Rebate Eligibility Requirements:
- All properties with maintained, irrigated cool-season turfgrass, within the City of Hays, may qualify for this rebate program on a first come, first serve basis. Rebates are available primarily for lawns watered with City water, but a small percentage of rebates are available for private well users as well.
- A pre-inspection must be completed prior to any turf conversion work being done. Work completed prior to pre-inspection will NOT qualify for a rebate. Calling for a pre-inspection as the work is being done (i.e. turf is being removed, etc.) is NOT acceptable. Pre-inspections must be scheduled in advance with City of Hays staff.
- A minimum of 100 square feet of converted turf may qualify for a rebate. $3,000 is the maximum rebate allowed per property.
- This rebate is available for up to one year following pre-inspection date. (Subject to change based on availability of program funds from year to year.)
- Contact (785) 628-7350 to schedule a pre-inspection. City staff will meet with you to see if you qualify for the program, discuss your plans and measure the lawn area you are proposing to remove and replace. If you qualify, you will then be given authorization to proceed with the conversion.
- Complete the conversion (either personally or via a qualified contractor). Keep in mind all City of Hays rules and regulations regarding landscaping and outdoor irrigation.
- Once conversion has been completed, contact (785) 628-7350 to schedule a post-inspection.
- After a successful post-inspection, allow 2+ weeks for your rebate to be processed. Payment will be made to the property owner. (Please be advised that IRS regulations require a 1099-MISC be sent to any person receiving a rebate greater than $600, in which case a W9 form will need to be submitted at the time of payment.) Remember, Pre– and Post-inspections are required for eligibility prior to issuance of rebate.
This program provides financial assistance to customers wishing to convert their irrigated cool season lawns to more water efficient, drought-tolerant, warm-season turfgrass or landscaping. The City of Hays does not endorse or recommend specific brands, products or dealers. Turf and plant selection and installation is the sole responsibility of the applicant. The City assumes no responsibility for any damage that may occur to an applicant’s property as a result of participation in this rebate program. Due to circumstances beyond its control, the City cannot guarantee that participation in the turf conversion program will result in lower utility costs.