High Efficiency Toilet Rebate
2020 High Efficiency Toilet Rebate Program
The toilet rebate program offers 3 different tiers, with more efficient toilet models qualifying for a higher rebate payment. Lower gallons per flush (GPF) = more $ back.
- 0.8 GPF - $150 (or purchase price if less than $150)
- 1.0 GPF - $100
- 1.1 - 1.28 GPF - $50
Rebate Eligibility Requirements:
- Rebates are given only for toilets that flush at or under 1.28 gallons per flush (GPF) and carry the WaterSense label. The rebate program only applies to gravity flush toilets (i.e. tank-type toilets). Dual flush toilets are eligible for the program, however, the maximum flush volume must be 1.28 gpf or less. (i.e. dual flush toilets with a max flush of 1.6 gpf do NOT qualify.) More information, including eligible models, can be found at www.epa.gov/watersense/residential-toilets.
- The toilet must be purchased new at retail price on or after January 1, 2020. Rebates will not be issued retroactively for toilets purchased before January 1, 2020.
- The toilet must be installed at a location served by the City of Hays Department of Water Resources. Rebates are only available for the replacement of existing gravity flush toilets. No rebates are available for new construction/additions.
- An on-site inspection by a representative of the Department of Water Resources may be required to verify installation before a rebate is paid.
- Purchase and install your new toilet. Verify that the toilet flushes at 1.28 or LOWER GPF.
- Complete the rebate form and attach the sales receipt showing the model of the toilet and date of purchase. Return to the Department of Water Resources, City Hall Finance Office, or email@example.com for processing.
- A representative of the Department of Water Resources may contact you and verify installation of the toilet.
- Allow four weeks from the date of submission to receive your rebate check. Please be advised that IRS regulations require a 1099-MISC be sent to any person receiving a rebate greater than $600, in which case a W9 form will need to be submitted at the time of payment.
This program provides financial assistance to customers wishing to purchase water-conserving toilets for their home or business. The City of Hays does not endorse or recommend specific brands, products or dealers. Selection and installation of the toilet is the sole responsibility of the applicant, as is determination of the adequacy and compatibility of their existing plumbing system. The City assumes no responsibility for any damage that may occur to an applicant’s property as a result of participation in this rebate program. Due to circumstances beyond its control, the City cannot guarantee that the installation of the toilet will result in lower utility costs.