- Parks Department
- Mt. Allen Historical Cemetery Tour
- Burial #4 - Peter & Sophia Johnson
Burial #4 - Peter & Sophia Johnson
- Peter Johnson - Born: May, 4 1847 - Died: October 17, 1923 (age 76)
- Sophia Johnson - Born: October 1, 1851 - Died: October 5, 1914 (age 63)
Peter and Sophia Johnson were immigrants from Denmark. After living in several mid-western states, they moved their family from Iowa and came to Ellis County in 1886. Peter established a farm in Lookout Township, a few miles south of Hays. He was a prosperous farmer and rancher, and their properties grew to include many sections of land which provided a good living for the Johnson family.
There were ten children who included: George, Lena, Lewis, Lilly, Mary, Peter Jr., Sophia, Sophus, Stena, and William. When the children grew into adulthood, six of them became well known teachers in the surrounding counties. One son, William, started his own ranching operation north of Hays in the Saline River Valley.
Mrs. Johnson died in 1914 and a rather large monument was erected in her memory.
All of the children eventually married except for Miss Lilly and Peter Jr. who remained at home to take care of their dad. Mr. Johnson, his daughter, and son eventually moved to town. At the age of 76 in the summer of 1923, the three of them moved to Long Beach, California. His son Louis and wife sold their property here in Ellis County and also moved to California to be near their family.
A few months later, in October 1923, Peter Johnson died in California. His body was returned to Hays, and it was reported in the newspaper that his funeral was one of the largest ever held in the city of Hays with many friends and residents who came to pay their last respects.
Other Family Burials
Other members of the Johnson family buried in this plot include George Johnson, his wife Adeline, their infant son, and daughter Lily:
- George Johnson - Born March 23, 1879 - Died December 14, 1969
- Adeline Johnson - Born October 14, 1885 - Died January 16, 1954
- Unnamed Infant Son - Died August 21, 1918
- Lily Georgene Johnson - Born March 27, 1921 - Died June 15, 2021